• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

RECALL R51 - FCA Recommends a Winter Front Cover for Colder Climates with EcoDiesels

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
The problem is... The Charge Air Cooler (CAC) on your vehicle may develop internal icing in cold temperature regions. This condition may cause the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) to illuminate and cause the vehicle to experience a 35 mph limp in condition.

What you should do… We ask that you install the provided winter front cover, when sustained day and night time temperatures drop below 30° F (-1° C), using the installation instruction sheets provided in the kit. The winter front cover is included in this mailing

See the attached document for more information.

Attachments

• R51.pdf
    148.1 KB · Views: 369

RamDr

Oct 10, 2015
Truck Year
I asked this question, through my dealer to Fiat a year ago and they overwhelmingly said no. Is this a new problem discovered?

diesel power 2014

Oct 3, 2015
Truck Year
The shutters are more designed for letting air flow down under the truck,call any dealer in service dept and will tell
you the same.I you look closely inside front grill you will see that the shutters do not close over the intercooler as there
should always be air flow going through the intercooler as too much heat and can crack.I work on truck/trailers and drive
truck and if you ever notice the front grill if winter front is on the grill the center is not blocked off to allow airflow.Everone
please keep this in mind as warmer winter days may have to take cover off.

kd1yt

Nov 16, 2015
Truck Year
Is there any sort of compendium or portal of these sorts of notices and/or recalls? Thanks

Jun 1, 2015
Truck Year
I live in southern Indiana. And received one of these covers in the mail today. I didn't even know it was coming. I saw a post somewhere, where someone was surprised they needed it in Missouri. The info that came with it said any consistent weather below 30° needs to have the cover on to keep from throwing the code, and going into limp mode. Even living in southern Indiana our lakes, and ponds freeze over. I would say that's constant enough cold weather to warrant the cover.

Readam

Oct 7, 2015
Truck Year
I just got done with a live chat session with Matthew at FCA's recall site and he stated that the recall 51 was for Ecodiesel's with an engine block heater. Apparently I am ineligible since I do not have a block heater. Not quite sure what that has to do though with driving in cold weather.

Shane

Aug 23, 2015
Truck Year
I was told I wasn't eligible because I DID have a block heater!? What the hell is going on?

Readam

Oct 7, 2015
Truck Year
I just called FCA customer service # and there response is that my vin # does not qualify for this recall.There response was that these trucks are made in multiple locations and that this issue must have been addressed at manufacture. I assume the key is "certain 2014 and 2015 model " and mine must be not one of them. It is difficult to proceed as I am unclear where this recall document came from or dated. Boostn could you give a little help where this recall notice came from. My concern is I have a trip planned to cold areas. Thanks

TheB2B

Aug 2, 2015
Truck Year
I was on the Ram owners web site, opened a chat window, asked if I qualify for a winter front. I was told my truck DID NOT have a block heater so I didn't qualify. I replied back my truck is sitting in the driveway PLUGGED IN! You know I would have bought I didn't qualify because of where I lived, what a bunch of BS! So at the risk of starting this whole debate again but all EcoDiesels manufactured have a block heater the difference is if the OEM installed a cord to plug them in with?

EcoSki

Nov 16, 2015
Truck Year
I called FCA last night and they told me to call my dealer with my VIN. Today I called the dealer and they told me to wait for FCA to send me one.

Jun 1, 2015
Truck Year
Hey guys. Supposed to get down in the low 20s this wkd in southern Indiana. I just put my cover on they sent me. Make sure if you install this, the side tabs have to slide in behind grill, and in between headlights. Lower tabs just slide in between grill and bumper. Then place hooks over top shroud.
25b9184c0985bbb3b92acfffabe8b0ab.jpg

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed

BruserD

Nov 23, 2015
Truck Year
I got my notice in the mail today. I live in the interior of southern BC and -20 F is not uncommon and temperature are normally below 32F from Dec to mid March. Had my truck for 1 year and have about 26,000km on it. Never had any issues in cold weather but fuel mileage does drop in the winter. We don't have a lot of humidity in the air here which is why I assume I haven't had problems.
However:
Customer Satisfaction Notification! What a joke. How can I be satisfied if my truck isn't designed to operate in normal temperatures for most of Canada without having to manually go out an put a cover on it when it is cold. That is a faulty design! More than a little PO'd. They need a better fix than that!