• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2016 Ecodiesel 100% Full DPF P0428 Cat Temp Sensor RESOLVED

krhd1113

Sep 3, 2024
Truck Year
Hi all,
I recently got 100% full dpf see dealer warning. I connected my AlfaOBD to force a regen but it would shut down after about 5 minutes due to a cat temp circuit high P0428
the graph showed the cat temp steady around 630c then a straight shot up to 999.9c and shed idle down and quit the regen

instead of running out to replace the sensor at $200 cdn a friend advised to clean the egt in the manifold as this soots up and can mess up the cat temp sensor reading.
so I pulled off the passenger side plastic wheel well liner and I was staring right at it. You can see in the attached image the sensor above the dpf going into the manifold.
I soaked this with wd40 and got it quite easily (and I'm at 258,000km) I put a red solo cup with diesel and soaked it for at 30 minutes, wiped it off, hit it with the air nozzle and re-installed.
for good measure I put a high speed fan underneath my truck to cool the dpf - my thinking was I might keep it just a few degrees below that point of no return temperature that failed the temp sensor.... crazily enough this worked at holding down the temperature about 20 degrees and it slowed the climb up to 630 degrees significantly

anyway, I forced the regen and this time in completed! within 20 minutes my dpf was down to 10% soot load and all codes cleared.
The best part is this cost me NOTHING! $0.00 !!

obviously I am going to keep an eye on this now but for today my truck is back on the road and my wallet is no less empty as it was before this happened.
I hope this can help others who have had a similar issue

Attachments

• ecdiesel manifold egt.jpg
    ecdiesel manifold egt.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 5