• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2016 Ram Eco Diesel DEF Question?

peter36

Jul 10, 2024
Truck Year
Hi to all from Canada, I am, very new to the Diesel Scene and so far loving it! Stupid Question time, I bought a new to me 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Eco Diesel 3 L {45000 Miles} and it came with a full Jug of DEF Fluid. The Gauge reads 1/2 full at this point, and I have put on about 350 Miles with no Gauge movement?? Is this normal, can any one advise on DEF Fluid consumption vs mileage ? 2nd question, how often do you change the oil?

Thank you very much!!

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Most change oil between 5 and 10 K miles depending on your use, Good to do a fuel filter at the same time. A tank of DEF fluid can last 1000's of miles on a tankful. I fill mine up every 7500 miles (same as my oil change) Congrats on the truck and show some pics!

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Hi to all from Canada, I am, very new to the Diesel Scene and so far loving it! Stupid Question time, I bought a new to me 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Eco Diesel 3 L {45000 Miles} and it came with a full Jug of DEF Fluid. The Gauge reads 1/2 full at this point, and I have put on about 350 Miles with no Gauge movement?? Is this normal, can any one advise on DEF Fluid consumption vs mileage ? 2nd question, how often do you change the oil?

Thank you very much!!
DEF's only job is to reduce the NOx levels produced by the engine exhaust. Its consumption rate depends on how you drive. When to activate (inject DEF) and the amount of DEF to inject is determined by the NOx level. Coolant temps need to be 273 degrees to activate.

I am tuned (the EGR is turned off) so NOx levels are very low, thus my Eco uses very little DEF

BTdriver

Aug 30, 2018
Truck Year

Thank you very much!!
Peter,
DEF consumption will vary, but somewhere in the 700-900 miles per gallon seems to be normal. The DEF tank on the trucks is 8 gallons (US).

I have seen much discussion on oil changes and oils to use. The general consensus is not to go the 10k mi between changes. I do mine at about 8k. Oil spec is full synthetic 5w-40. I use Rotella T6, Valvoline Premium Blue and Delo 400 XSP. In addition, I use Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer to help the main and rod bearings live longer. What seems to happen is that, because of the EGR and the bad factory tune, soot in the oil builds up to where it starts to interfere with the oil's ability to lube/protect the bearings when you get around the 8k mi range and wear increases. Many change oil sooner because of this. Also, many get their trucks tuned by outfits such as: Green Diesel Engineering, MRT (via EOC), etc., to run cleaner and more efficiently.

It is a good idea to put an additive in your fuel at every fill-up to better lube the HPFP (it needs it), as well as improve combustion and keep injectors clean. Some of the common ones are: Power Service, Doc's, Hot Shot and Howe's.

I hope you get many good miles from your new-to-you ecodiesel.

Robb3057

Dec 19, 2021
Truck Year

Thank you very much!!
Yes that's normal. I've never changed the DEF. I just keep it at least 3/4 full. Your capacity should be 8 gals.

peter36

Jul 10, 2024
Truck Year
Peter,
DEF consumption will vary, but somewhere in the 700-900 miles per gallon seems to be normal. The DEF tank on the trucks is 8 gallons (US).

I have seen much discussion on oil changes and oils to use. The general consensus is not to go the 10k mi between changes. I do mine at about 8k. Oil spec is full synthetic 5w-40. I use Rotella T6, Valvoline Premium Blue and Delo 400 XSP. In addition, I use Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer to help the main and rod bearings live longer. What seems to happen is that, because of the EGR and the bad factory tune, soot in the oil builds up to where it starts to interfere with the oil's ability to lube/protect the bearings when you get around the 8k mi range and wear increases. Many change oil sooner because of this. Also, many get their trucks tuned by outfits such as: Green Diesel Engineering, MRT (via EOC), etc., to run cleaner and more efficiently.

It is a good idea to put an additive in your fuel at every fill-up to better lube the HPFP (it needs it), as well as improve combustion and keep injectors clean. Some of the common ones are: Power Service, Doc's, Hot Shot and Howe's.

I hope you get many good miles from your new-to-you ecodiesel.
Thank you Very Much, all great information!!Peter

Ricerocket27

Mar 5, 2024
Truck Year

Thank you very much!!
I have a 2014 Eco. The DEF tank in mine is 8 US Gallons. Seriously, mine takes up around 15,000 km to burn 8 USG! So not unusual to have no movement in only 350 miles. Another thing these DEF systems do (it's not just Dodge systems): DEF is basically 50% water and 50% Urea. This stuff crystalizes on the DEF gauge (which is located inside the DEF tank and is not replacable), and this can sometimes cause the check engine light to come on. It causes false readings, eg you can add DEF to your tank and the gauge will not move. Also, the gauge is one of those sonar tape types, and only goes 3/4 of the way up the tank, so until you burn the first quarter of a tank, your gauge will be stuck on 100% full. How I got rid of the check engine light, was to drain the tank (slide under truck, remove fill hose, suck out all DEF with a cheap syringe type hand pump from Lordco or similar..I actually got mine from O-Rielly's for 12 bucks.....very easy to do), and then add just 2 gallons. Then start driving. on day 1 after filling, my check engine light went out. On day 2, the gauge started reading correctly. It's a minor PIA, but once you get it sussed, it's no problem, and I run mine at not more than 1/2 on the guage and it all works fine. Doing this is much cheaper that having a tank replaced just to get a properly working gauge (Coquitlam Chrysler in 2022 quoted me CAD4,300 to provide & fit a new tank). Cheers & I hope the above makes sense!

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I have a 2014 Eco. The DEF tank in mine is 8 US Gallons. Seriously, mine takes up around 15,000 km to burn 8 USG! So not unusual to have no movement in only 350 miles. Another thing these DEF systems do (it's not just Dodge systems): DEF is basically 50% water and 50% Urea. This stuff crystalizes on the DEF gauge (which is located inside the DEF tank and is not replacable), and this can sometimes cause the check engine light to come on. It causes false readings, eg you can add DEF to your tank and the gauge will not move. Also, the gauge is one of those sonar tape types, and only goes 3/4 of the way up the tank, so until you burn the first quarter of a tank, your gauge will be stuck on 100% full. How I got rid of the check engine light, was to drain the tank (slide under truck, remove fill hose, suck out all DEF with a cheap syringe type hand pump from Lordco or similar..I actually got mine from O-Rielly's for 12 bucks.....very easy to do), and then add just 2 gallons. Then start driving. on day 1 after filling, my check engine light went out. On day 2, the gauge started reading correctly. It's a minor PIA, but once you get it sussed, it's no problem, and I run mine at not more than 1/2 on the guage and it all works fine. Doing this is much cheaper that having a tank replaced just to get a properly working gauge (Coquitlam Chrysler in 2022 quoted me CAD4,300 to provide & fit a new tank). Cheers & I hope the above makes sense!
DEF is 32.5% urea, 67.5% distilled or deionized water.
2014-16 Ecodiesels have a DEF Common Urea Sensor.
I have read that they can run down to 2-3% DEF 97-98% Distilled Water.
That 1 Gallon DEF to 2-3 Gallons of Distilled Water, the DEF Pump and Injector will outlive the engine.
I run 1 gal distilled water to 2.5 gallons DEF for a 24% mix.
2017+ Ecos have a sensor that will alarm at 22% DEF

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
DEF is 32.5% urea, 67.5% distilled or deionized water.
2014-16 Ecodiesels have a DEF Common Urea Sensor.
I have read that they can run down to 2-3% DEF 97-98% Distilled Water.
That 1 Gallon DEF to 2-3 Gallons of Distilled Water, the DEF Pump and Injector will outlive the engine.
I run 1 gal distilled water to 2.5 gallons DEF for a 24% mix.
2017+ Ecos have a sensor that will alarm at 22% DEF

Correct, I ran My 2015 at levels down to 5% Urea, I generally ran 3 Gallons Distilled Water to 1 Gallon DEF, 2013-16 Ram Cummins 6.7 can run on same levels some 2017 and all 2018+ can run on 2.5 Gallons DEF to 1 Gallon Distilled water..I believe that the Ram 1500s 2018+ should be able to run the same ratio as the 2018+ 2500+ 6.7 Rams

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Correct, I ran My 2015 at levels down to 5% Urea, I generally ran 3 Gallons Distilled Water to 1 Gallon DEF, 2013-16 Ram Cummins 6.7 can run on same levels some 2017 and all 2018+ can run on 2.5 Gallons DEF to 1 Gallon Distilled water..I believe that the Ram 1500s 2018+ should be able to run the same ratio as the 2018+ 2500+ 6.7 Rams
TC, I got my information from you a long time ago. Hard to say how many owners I've shared it with.
it's been rewarding for so many, all thanks to you.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I have tested the ratios, and discovered that the 32.5% is only need to meet near 0 PPM NOx at WOT in most engines that are BlueTech. , it's another EPA requirement promoted by the climate change fanatics that have infiltrated the US GOV, this is how (*&^() up this requirement is One 3 hour 100 miles Radius lighting storm creates More NOx than 27 million DSL power plants operated 1 miles a day at WOT. If the EPA wants to lower NOx, it needs to control lighting storms World Wide. I'm all for clean air but the levels the EPA has set are to satisfy the liberal fanatic's the believe we need to mandate 0 NOx even allowing 100 PPMs for short periods of time would never even move the needle on NOx effect...

peter36

Jul 10, 2024
Truck Year
UPDATE!!!! Well our Initial trip is over, approx 3000KM (1864 miles) used approx 1/8th of a tank of DEF, now I know, and Fuel Mileage came in at 30.55 combined MPG ( imperial) Very happy with this vehicle, plenty of power and comfort and surprisingly economical!! I love my new to me Diesel.!!Thanks for the help and knowledge, Peter