• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I accidentally put Regular gas in the engine!

Southernman0873

Jul 2, 2024
Truck Year
I was driving long distance and put regular gas in the tank. I drove about 150 miles at approximately 75 miles an hour until the engine died. I had it towed to the dealership. They have quoted me $12,500 to replace the entire fuel system. Please someone help me with some advice. I am in Jacksonville, Florida. If anyone knows a less expensive option I am open to advice. I really do not want a new vehicle although that option has been presented. It is a 2022 Ecodiesel. I cannot believe I did this!

autoX

Nov 6, 2022
Truck Year
Had a buddy who did this to his VW. He's a German engineer, PHD ;).
Shell in Canada has Bronze as regular, which looks yellow, like Diesel. So he topped 'er up and it died a short distance later.

All he did was drain the tank, refill with Diesel and cranked it until it started. Diesel circulates fuel (supply and return), so it will return fresh fuel to the injectors.

BTdriver

Aug 30, 2018
Truck Year
Most of the fuel system you could flush, but the high pressure pump is likely damaged and sent metal into the injectors. Those two should probably be replaced. The rest can probably be saved. That is, if you can find a mechanic willing to spend the time to flush stuff instead of wastefully throwing parts at it.

SeanPwnery

Nov 30, 2022
Truck Year
Since gas would easily detonate earlier in the stroke, you had to have noticed the pinging noises, the extreme drop in acceleration, possibly the CEL firing off. You honestly drove 150 miles without noticing anything??? The quote they gave you was definitely a full fuel system replacement - however you might want to be sure they compression test that engine before wasting any time on that fuel system. Pre-detonation will murder a top end.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
The two persons I know who were refueled (the station attendant did it) with gas, when they were down to 1/3 tank or less, were dead in just a few miles.

I know several who made the mistake but only put a few gallons of gas in. They added oil to the tank and fueled it with diesel and kept doing that very time they were down to a half tank, they had no problems then or later. The best oil to add is 2-stroke ashless oil, if not available, any oil will do.