• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Idiot lights now

...a child of God

Apr 15, 2024
Truck Year
Hello.
I purchased a '16 1500 ecodiesel with air suspension. The rear bags will periodically fill up too much and make the ride unbearable. I've done the dashboard button reset and it worked for a few months. Today I removed the negative cable from the battery for 2 hours. It doesn't seem to reset to a comfortable ride. But now, I have idiot lights to clear.
I noticed that all my personal settings (radio, so on) didn't change. So I'm wondering if there is a second small power source somewhere. Any advice on what the deal is with my rear suspension?

Attachments

• 20240718_123924.jpg
    20240718_123924.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 6

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Air ride problems are a PITR, You need WITECH in most cases to correct the problem(s). ALFA can be used but I 've found its not are useful as WITECH. not to mention You need Nitrogen, Tank ,plus the tools refill the Nitro Tank... and the skill to Navigate WITECH...When problems like this develop, I use WITECH to try and get the system to function, when it does NOT. I deflate the system to Air and Refill the system with clean dry air and try to re-set. if the system does re-set and function correctly, I deflate the system to air and refill with Nitro... If it does NOT function correctly I use WITECH to test the system and each bag to find what's leaking or bad. It's very time consuming and $$$$.

...a child of God

Apr 15, 2024
Truck Year
I found this on "Cummins Forum". Really helped me better understand our air systems. I was told I had nitrogen, but now I wonder. I own a semi that doesnt have a closed system. If my rams air system has an air dryer, then I have an open system.

Sep 12, 2015 Heavysledz
I found this over on TDR:

From Chrysler Tech Authority:

"The air suspension system is an open system. The air suspension reservoir stores a specified volume of pressurized air for use when the system need to raise or lower the vehicle height. If an individual pressurized component of the air suspension system is damaged and air pressure is lost, the reservoir will hold any pressure left in the component. A scan tool is used to evacuate the component. After repair or replacement of the component, a scan tool can be used to refill the component from the reservoir.

The compressor cannot refill the reservoir and complete system if all pressure is exhausted, as in a compressor assembly or valve block replacement. The system will need to be filled at the reservoir with nitrogen. For complete filling of the air suspension system after a repair (Refer to 17 - Rear Suspension/Standard Procedure) ."

"The rear height sensors are wired directly to the Air Suspension Control Module (ASCM). The rear vehicle ride height information is used to determine and adjust the rear vehicle ride height. The ASCM then transmits the information on the CAN bus to the Air Suspension Unit (ASU). The rear height sensors have three wired circuits: height sensor power, signal and return."

"The Air Suspension Unit (ASU) is made up of two primary components, the compressor and the valve block. There is a single pressurized air line between the compressor and the valve block to maintain system pressure. Control of the air compressor and valve block is from the Air Suspension Control Module (ASCM). Diagnose the air suspension system using a scan tool.

Air Compressor The compressor runs to maintain air pressure any time the vehicle height is being changed or in the event of a small reduction in over all system pressure. Integrated reversing valves in the air compressor allow pressurized air to be moved in two directions, making this a closed system. There is a desiccant located inside the compressor for moisture protection, and an air suspension hose assembly attached to the air compressor (including a filter) which are not pressurized, and can be replaced as an assembly. If water is visible in the filter, the air suspension hose assembly and the valve block must be replaced. An air suspension temperature sensor is attached to the air compressor bracket to monitor ambient air temperature for protection of the compressor.

Positive voltage is from a 40-amp fuse located in the PDC, and a normally open compressor relay (ASCM controlled) located in engine compartment area, and ground for the relay and compressor are through a bolted on eyelet connection.

Valve Block The valve block controls the flow of air in the system and to maintain the pressure in the in each air spring which allows the system to move each corner of the vehicle up or down as necessary. Valves and solenoids in the valve body increase or release pressure to air lines that connect to each pressurized component. The ASCM determines pressure from an internal pressure sensor in the valve body. The air lines connected to the valve block are labeled for individual replacement"

...a child of God

Apr 15, 2024
Truck Year
I saw on another forum a guy posted that he disconnected both battery cables and held them together for 30 seconds. Yea, that didn't work for me. So I bought the OBD thingy. That didn't clear the codes, but it did tell me that I have a gzillion other things going on. 😂
Today I was piddling around and found a fuse was not seated completely. I pushed it in and all was well with my soul.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240724-102730_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240724-102730_Chrome.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 2

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I saw on another forum a guy posted that he disconnected both battery cables and held them together for 30 seconds. Yea, that didn't work for me. So I bought the OBD thingy. That didn't clear the codes, but it did tell me that I have a gzillion other things going on. 😂
Today I was piddling around and found a fuse was not seated completely. I pushed it in and all was well with my soul.
You might want to push all the fuses in. Rams are famous for the fuses not being all the way seated. My wasn't, although all were working, every fuse could be pushed further into the d]slot

...a child of God

Apr 15, 2024
Truck Year
Did the OBD test, heres the results. So I installed a new unit. Didnt have time tonight to run another test. No suspension change, but at least the two light are off. If someone would kindly respond to the 4 pictures it would be most appreciated.

OBD RESULTS, BUTTONS STUCK ON.jpegREAR BUMPSTOPS.jpegALFA.jpegLIGHTED MODULE.jpeg.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Its going to take a New Pump/Nitro/and WITech to fix Air suspension.