• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New to Group - Mac | 2018 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel

ramadamdiesel

May 22, 2024
Truck Year
Hello All,

I am new to the Group. I have a 2018 RAM 1500 SLT with EcoDiesel that I am very happy with when running properly, but have had a few issues that seem to be common.

Purchased in 2021 with 83,000 KM (52,000 MI), extremely clean with good dealer service record. Now have 221,000 KM after 3 years. Have kept my fingers crossed as I have heard many horror stories from other EcoD owners. Got stuck on side of the road today with a new one which I will share under separate post.

Issues to Date (all serviced by RAM dealer):

1) DEF system failure under 90K (covered by extended warranty)
2) Alternator replacement at 180K. Replacement alternator failed again after 8 months (under warranty)
3) Serpentine belt failure shortly after alternator replacement. Belt and all pulleys/idlers/tensioners were apparently inspected at time of alternator service and confirmed good.
4) 8.4" Uconnect LED screen delamination
4) DEF Injection system failure due to exhaust flange gasket leak. Hot exhaust leak melted injector connector/wire and injection tube ($2,600 repair, warranty expired)
5) Will Start New Post for This....... Issue today (17-Jun-24) that left me stuck on the road. Initially suspecting fuel rail pressure sensor. Had been driving for 2.5 hours while continuing to admire the great fuel mileage I get with this truck. Made a stop and as I was pulling into parking lot, vehicle just stalled out of nowhere. Had been running great until this point. Engine light came on. Truck would restart with uncharacteristic difficulty that seemed like a fuel starvation issue. Would drive for a bit like nothing was wrong then just stall out again. Currently researching this. Have ordered code scanner to determine what engine code has tripped engine light to assist with my starting point on this. Looking to avoid the dealer this time.

Hope to learn from all of you on your experiences. I love the performance and my experience with this truck and engine otherwise despite the fear that has been put into me by other owners. Would trade up to newer truck with last model year of this engine unless I am dissuaded otherwise. Was dissappointed when I heard this engine went EOL.

Mac
Barrie, ON, Canada