• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Noise letting off throttle

Mwaller

Nov 23, 2021
Truck Year
I have a 2018 ecodiesel. I’ve been noticing a noise when letting off the gas, especially under load (backing a trailer, or holding the brake and revving about 2000-3500rpm and letting off) noise sounds like a bearing noise to me. It is coming from the tube that connects the throttle body to the intercooler (I think it’s the intercooler) I attached a video of the noise. Any info would be awesome.
View attachment IMG_1004.mov

autoX

Nov 6, 2022
Truck Year
There is a throttle bypass valve that opens when you charge air (rev) then slam the throttle plate shut. The air has to go somewhere or the turbo pump will be hit. Creates a pipe hammer effect. So it's that system that is chuffing.

I blew my bypass doing that in a Volvo R - full throttle 5K rpm to shut closed, that led to the entire car combusting a few days later ;)

Mwaller

Nov 23, 2021
Truck Year
One thing to add it only happens after driving the truck for a while. If I start it up cold the noise is not there.

BTdriver

Aug 30, 2018
Truck Year
In addition to autoX's comments:
It's a boost pressure blow off valve. Much like what is seen in movies such as Fast and Furious where the engine is revved and then the boost pressure is released to the outside for visual effect. On our ecodiesels it is the same function, but far less dramatic. What you're experiencing is normal operation.