• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

question on keeping ecodiesel, just cleaned a sooty sludged up EGR diffuser tube

eldoradoram

Aug 19, 2024
Truck Year
Hey All,
Looking for opinions on keeping my '19 Classic Ecodiesel or not. Bought brand new, installed SFT tune after a few thousand miles with EGR switched off. Learned about all the ecodiesels issues after purchase and was hoping the tune would alleviate any long term issues. Plan was to keep the truck 10 years/200k miles. Did Rotella 5w-30 oil changes per the truck computer. Recently had in to dealership for recall, flashed over my tune, had issues getting tune updated with SFT. Took a road trip with OEM tune, had issues with CEL and limp mode. Code was excessive egr intake. Cleared the code to keep the road trip going 3 or 4 times. Drive back was no issues. Finally got SFT Update and re-installed.

Now, because of all this I got curious about the ecodiesel issues again and if I should get out of it before it's too late. Saw people recommending checking the EGR diffuser tube and cleaning that. I thought...hmm, mine should be clean because the EGR has always been off except these last few thousand miles (long road trip!). Well I just pulled it and it was caked with sooty black sludge, as well as the inside of the intake that I could get my finger into.

So, now I'm seriously questioning keeping the truck and if it's too risky to keep it and run it. A $20k+ new engine bill would be a big problem for us and I really don't need the hassle. Thoughts on the longevity of the engine with SFT tune? And any thoughts on why it is so sooted up even with majority of its life its been SFT tuned? Truck has 77k miles btw.

Thanks!

W.D.H.

Nov 9, 2016
Truck Year
Hey All,
Looking for opinions on keeping my '19 Classic Ecodiesel or not. Bought brand new, installed SFT tune after a few thousand miles with EGR switched off. Learned about all the ecodiesels issues after purchase and was hoping the tune would alleviate any long term issues. Plan was to keep the truck 10 years/200k miles. Did Rotella 5w-30 oil changes per the truck computer. Recently had in to dealership for recall, flashed over my tune, had issues getting tune updated with SFT. Took a road trip with OEM tune, had issues with CEL and limp mode. Code was excessive egr intake. Cleared the code to keep the road trip going 3 or 4 times. Drive back was no issues. Finally got SFT Update and re-installed.

Now, because of all this I got curious about the ecodiesel issues again and if I should get out of it before it's too late. Saw people recommending checking the EGR diffuser tube and cleaning that. I thought...hmm, mine should be clean because the EGR has always been off except these last few thousand miles (long road trip!). Well I just pulled it and it was caked with sooty black sludge, as well as the inside of the intake that I could get my finger into.

So, now I'm seriously questioning keeping the truck and if it's too risky to keep it and run it. A $20k+ new engine bill would be a big problem for us and I really don't need the hassle. Thoughts on the longevity of the engine with SFT tune? And any thoughts on why it is so sooted up even with majority of its life its been SFT tuned? Truck has 77k miles btw.

Thanks!

W.D.H.

Nov 9, 2016
Truck Year
I had a 2014 that saw my engine fail and replaced. The new engine had begun to act up in 2016 which led to the dealer buying the truck back. The troubles all stemmed from all the crap they added to the engine such as EGR etc. I ended up in a new 2017 with zero miles, the very first thing I did was buy a stage one delete kit which eliminated the EGR. My truck ran great! now that my warranty has expired and I have 67K miles I decided since I live in a area with no inspections I bit the bullet and went with a stage two complete delete kit. No longer have to worry about regenerations or def, my local shop ran a straight pipe from the turbo to my muffler. ( all oem gear is in my shed) It has been nearly 4 months and the truck is completely different! My tune which came with it is set at stock and even though it's stock I picked up 20 hp and it's much more snappy. Fuel milage is 31.7 on highway, low 28's to 29's city. I'm very pleased and haven't looked back. Smell and exhaust isn't a issue.

I would recommend if interested to look up the outfit I used, (Thedeieseldudes) up in Canada. My truck runs as it was originally designed to run and can't find any issues on the internet about failures Once all the garbage has been removed. The difference is incredible...

Dec 14, 2015
Truck Year
Just a thought, your comment stated you put Rotella 5-30 in your truck. That is not the correct oil Rotella T6 is a 5-40 oil that is approved for the ecodiesel, I am nearing 130K miles and have not had any engine issues with my 2015. I also change the oil at 7500 miles and install a new fuel filter at the same time, our U.S.A. fuel is not near as pure as European fuel.