• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Torque Convert Bolt stripped - seeking advice

David W Palmer

Mar 12, 2018
Truck Year
Current job on my 2015 Ecodiesel - Tone Ring and Crankshaft Position sensor replacement (210k Miles)

After remounting the transmission to the engine, I'm going through the installation of the torque converter bolts (through the hole for the starter) that mount the flex plate to the torque converter I have successfully installed and torqued (31 ft lbs) 5 of the 6 bolts.

Issue - 1 of the 5 bolts seems to be stripped in that I, as my picture shows, have gotten the bolt fully seated but cannot bring the torque up to 31 ft lbs. It is pretty tight but when I apply the torque wrench it will not click. I have stepped it up from 20 ft lbs and it will not click at 31, it just keeps advancing an not tightening. If I apply a regular ratchet it feels quite tight...just can't get to the torque spec.

I did back the bolt out to look at the threads and they are a bit flat on the peak of the tread but not completely stripped.

Options
1. Get it in as tight as possible (20 ftlbs) and apply red Loctite be cautiously optimistic that all will be good.
2. Buy a new Torque converter bolt and tap the threads in the torque converter (I'm apprehensive on this one as I've only ever tapped threads a few times before, just have to ensure I use the right tapp).

Question
These 6 bolts that connect the flexplate to the torque converter, are they only bearing just the torque of the starter when starting the engine or the entire torque of the engine to the torque converter?
I was thinking the 8 bolts that hold the flexplate to the crankshaft that have a 90 ft lbs of torque (+30 degree turn) would be responsible for the load of transferring the engine torque to the Torque converter then to the transmission.

I really don't want to uninstall the transmission if I can help it...it's a PITA in the non-flat driveway.

thx

Attachments

• Torque Converter Bolt.jpg
    Torque Converter Bolt.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 5

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Well Dodge did my tone wheel at 116k; I did it again myself in the garage when I replaced Turbo at 196, one of the torque converter bolts were barely hand tight on removal so their techs aren't perfect either.. I'd get a fresh bolt myself from the hardware store, nothing special it's just graded metric. And use BLUE loc tight. I know when Dodge did it they had to replace all the flex plate bolts as it was one time use but none of that stuff is relevant torque to yield that are actually stretching. Just manufacturer liability. I reused everything, I didn't put a torque wrench to a single thing. Big bolts get tight small bolts get snug. Leave nothing loose and you'll be golden.

Last edited: