• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine blown

ray364

Mar 26, 2024
Truck Year
My son’s 2014 Ecodiesel just threw a rod. Everyone says it’s $18000 complete engine or 8-10K junk yard. Can’t I just buy a long block for $3800? Why buy a junk yard engine?

RandyZinck

Dec 2, 2023
Truck Year
mine blew a rod as well. $26000 from the dealer in Canada. Found some from the junk yards here wanting over $10-15k for a used one. I was told there are no parts around for them, being long blocks etc

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Being 2014 Just dump it....It will never be worth the $$$$$ , Plus the Next engine is at same risk.... Some early 2014-16 Owners went through. 2 warranty Motors and another 1+ Out of pocket Motors.... now that the Motor is out of production plus double the cost and No parts available and!!! the aftermarket not going to produce parts at only 200.000 produced. it's a Hero-Zero Motor.

ChuckRomeo

Mar 28, 2024
Truck Year
Being 2014 Just dump it....It will never be worth the $$$$$ , Plus the Next engine is at same risk.... Some early 2014-16 Owners went through. 2 warranty Motors and another 1+ Out of pocket Motors.... now that the Motor is out of production plus double the cost and No parts available and!!! the aftermarket not going to produce parts at only 200.000 produced. it's a Hero-Zero Motor.
Worst advice I have seen besides referring anyone to use Randy Z. The motors have not stopped being produced!!!!!!!!!! North America has stopped putting them in new vehicles but VM Motori is still manufacturing them and will continue for the next 10 years or so.

@ray364 there are a handful of people that have started rebuilding these motors but one team has done the best lower end modifications so far. That is the Peters brothers, they operate out of Mexico. Last I seen they charge $7500 but provide the best warranty on the motor after the rebuild with the condition that the motor needs to be deleted. There are about two others that I would even entertain or consider using if I absolutely couldn't use the Peters bros...

ray364

Mar 26, 2024
Truck Year
Worst advice I have seen besides referring anyone to use Randy Z. The motors have not stopped being produced!!!!!!!!!! North America has stopped putting them in new vehicles but VM Motori is still manufacturing them and will continue for the next 10 years or so.

@ray364 there are a handful of people that have started rebuilding these motors but one team has done the best lower end modifications so far. That is the Peters brothers, they operate out of Mexico. Last I seen they charge $7500 but provide the best warranty on the motor after the rebuild with the condition that the motor needs to be deleted. There are about two others that I would even entertain or consider using if I absolutely couldn't use the Peters bros...
Chuck. I deleted the truck. Put Randy’s 70HP tune in it. 3 days later it blew. Now obviously we were running it harder rolling some smoke ect. Do you think the tune had anything to do with it? I honestly am not blaming that, it was probably coincidence and pushing it more it just happened. I found a complete used engine from a totaled hit in rear ram. I’m putting it in. What’s your thoughts on what I do with the tune? Go 20 or 40 HP Not the 70?

ChuckRomeo

Mar 28, 2024
Truck Year
Chuck. I deleted the truck. Put Randy’s 70HP tune in it. 3 days later it blew. Now obviously we were running it harder rolling some smoke ect. Do you think the tune had anything to do with it? I honestly am not blaming that, it was probably coincidence and pushing it more it just happened. I found a complete used engine from a totaled hit in rear ram. I’m putting it in. What’s your thoughts on what I do with the tune? Go 20 or 40 HP Not the 70?
You are not alone! That sadly is the common occurrence for 80% or more of his customers.. others either give up trying to use him after he send over 15 different files, or actually have yet to experience failure..

I can’t tell you what to do.. but I will say, if it were me… I would never put any tune from Randy Z on anything I own!! I would scrape that tune and go elsewhere.. run a pre-epa GDE hot tune (my current tune), or deal with the remote start and disabled DTCs issues from Sofa King (although he closed up shop recently).. Martin Renaud (MRtuning) is the tuner I am going to use for my stage 2.

ChuckRomeo

Mar 28, 2024
Truck Year
But if you want to know how his tune screwed you since Randy is one of the only ones tuning to “roll coal” do an oil analysis and see just how much fuel dilation that tune caused.. fuel washing cylinder walls and seeping passed rings into oil caused lower viscosity and left bearings with zero protection.. I bet money on it!!! If you want to know about the issues people have had with Reckless Motorsport/ecodiesel USA.. I recommend you check out this group..

ray364

Mar 26, 2024
Truck Year
But if you want to know how his tune screwed you since Randy is one of the only ones tuning to “roll coal” do an oil analysis and see just how much fuel dilation that tune caused.. fuel washing cylinder walls and seeping passed rings into oil caused lower viscosity and left bearings with zero protection.. I bet money on it!!! If you want to know about the issues people have had with Reckless Motorsport/ecodiesel USA.. I recommend you check out this group..
Chuck there is what I feel alot of fuel in oil. Well that’s 1300.00 down the drain and an Engine. Who should I run for the stage 2 tune. Lead me in the right direction. Thank you guys for all
Your help

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Chuck LMBO...YOU obviously Don't know the history of the VM 3.0...FCA LOST 3.5 BILLION ON THAT POS engine. This has been mention 10000+times.."it's a Hero/Zero engine... If you want to throw the dice go for it.. On this engine.. But don't wine when snake eyes show up.

ChuckRomeo

Mar 28, 2024
Truck Year
Chuck LMBO...YOU obviously Don't know the history of the VM 3.0...FCA LOST 3.5 BILLION ON THAT POS engine. This has been mention 10000+times.."it's a Hero/Zero engine... If you want to throw the dice go for it.. On this engine.. But don't wine when snake eyes show up.
Ya I know the history.. but just because North American car manufacturers choose to not build any new vehicles with a certain motor does NOT automatically put an end to the motor manufacturer! This motor is used more in marine environments then anything, and Dale Banks purchases the short block from vm motori to modify and up-fit into military vehicles.. the motor is still there. If you doubt it, reach out to be motori as others have to find out from the source. Telling someone to scrap it because of lack of comprehension in global economy is no excuse!

ChuckRomeo

Mar 28, 2024
Truck Year
Chuck there is what I feel alot of fuel in oil. Well that’s 1300.00 down the drain and an Engine. Who should I run for the stage 2 tune. Lead me in the right direction. Thank you guys for all
Your help
Like I said, I would go with mrtuning.. you can get it direct from them or one of their many resellers. I am going through Ecodiesel owners Canada performance parts. You can email [email protected]

ChuckRomeo

Mar 28, 2024
Truck Year
And no I have no affiliation with that company other than getting my tune through them. Despite me just joining this message forum today (solely because of the aweful advice given), I have a 2017 that I bought brand new in August 2017.. been a member of many communities much larger than this one ever since then as well.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Ya I know the history.. but just because North American car manufacturers choose to not build any new vehicles with a certain motor does NOT automatically put an end to the motor manufacturer! This motor is used more in marine environments then anything, and Dale Banks purchases the short block from vm motori to modify and up-fit into military vehicles.. the motor is still there. If you doubt it, reach out to be motori as others have to find out from the source. Telling someone to scrap it because of lack of comprehension in global economy is no excuse!

I get Chuck, But the risk is to great.... We'll if Gale Banks Purchased the VM. 3.0 "Block" Banks will be needing to Re-MACHINE AND DEVELOPING TIGTHER SPEC'S, that powerplant will in OEM VM form NOT pass Military Standards. Those engineers are NOT fooled by Marketing or smooth Talk.

ChuckRomeo

Mar 28, 2024
Truck Year
I get Chuck, But the risk is to great.... We'll if Gale Banks Purchased the VM. 3.0 "Block" Banks will be needing to Re-MACHINE AND DEVELOPING TIGTHER SPEC'S, that powerplant will in OEM VM form NOT pass Military Standards. Those engineers are NOT fooled by Marketing or smooth Talk.
He won the contract after they examined it. So.......... It is the Army and Marines though, not the smarter branches.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
He won the contract after they examined it. So.......... It is the Army and Marines though, not the smarter branches.

Like I said , Its NOT OEM Ram's 3.0. What ! ARE YOU BLIND AND THAT IGNORANT? Owners are on 3rd 4th Engine in some cases. it's not a rare occurrence either..... Chuck Did bank really put that POS in Military Vehicles? I have all kind of Info on the D-Max ,and Cummins...Prove me wrong by posting a link or a picture of VM 3.0 in a US Military Vehicle that's in production, No Proto-type allowed or Expo Allowed

Reactions: SJK

ChuckRomeo

Mar 28, 2024
Truck Year
Like I said , Its NOT OEM Ram's 3.0. What ! ARE YOU BLIND AND THAT IGNORANT? Owners are on 3rd 4th Engine in some cases. it's not a rare occurrence either..... Chuck Did bank really put that POS in Military Vehicles? I have all kind of Info on the D-Max ,and Cummins...Prove me wrong by posting a link or a picture of VM 3.0 in a US Military Vehicle that's in production, No Proto-type allowed or Expo Allowed
Sorry bro, my job is not to do research for just everyone. I make $200/hour for my job and will cut you a deal at $150/hour should you desire. Otherwise, learn to use an internet search tool and then give advice based on facts and not skewed individual pov.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Maybe you should look in the Mirror.... Your over paid... You cannot prove Me wrong, I asked for some facts and ALL you provided was conjecture and speculation base on your pay scale.

ChuckRomeo

Mar 28, 2024
Truck Year
The facts are freely available, go educate yourself. I am not your teacher nor your parent. And unless you pay me, I owe you nothing. Just another ex-Ecodiesel owner that wants to hang around and tell people how bad of an experience they had and think all others will end up the same way.. move on already..

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I'm not the one claiming to get paid $200 an hour and spreading Mis-information on this engine being used in military use.Yes please move on.