• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I gave up on this Truck

Fredster4

Jul 9, 2023
Truck Year
I was a very happy owner of a 2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel. I bought it new. It was beautiful with the leather seats, the alpine sound system and Cool Vanilla paint which was only available at the Laramie trim level. I still think it was one of the most beautiful trucks ever made. It had 125K miles on it and I just couldn't take the constant check engine light and associated emissions systems problems.

I know there is a lot of discussion about deleting the emissions systems on these trucks in this forum but I just couldn't, in good conscience, bring myself to consider that.

So what did I do? I traded it in for a 2024 Toyota Tundra 1794 edition. Studies show that if you buy a Toyota Tundra today, there is a 49% chance it will make it to 250K miles. Even though I am not enamored of the way they look, I figure, that's the truck for me. I hunted down the best deal I could find and negotiated $10K off MSRP of $73K for the new truck, and $15,125 trade in value for the Ram. I am offering this as information to others on this forum as a viable alternative to continuously dealing with the Ram's unreliability and choosing not to contribute more to a dirty planet by deleting your emissions system.

Ram.jpg
Tundra1794.jpg

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Good luck with that Toyota! I hope you are one of the 49% that makes it to 250000! Check back and tell us how you like it periodically!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Ram was NOT the problem, Fiat/VM Motori... is were to place the blame, I have mentioned this numerous times....Ram/FCA America opposed that engine on Americas soil...., I traded My 2015 Fiat/VM Laramie 1500 in 2019 , for 2019 Limited.. 5.5 Years later 1 stay for warranty electronic steering Module/Assembly replaced. Tundra a nice truck, but it's not a Ram 1500. I crawl underneath the vehicles I buy and compare Iron, than I go to engine compartment. the 5.7L hemi (RIP) is gone but it was one the greatest Gas Motors ever..The tick and Exhaust bolt failure were rare and generally related to abuse...Wrong lube and spirited dart driving and shutdown . I don't own the hurricane Motor (Yet ) but a close friend does, its powerful and get's good MPG...Time will tell of its longevity and durability.

Manyespinosa

Aug 21, 2022
Truck Year
I wish you luck with your new purchase, the Laramie diesel is the dream of many, as I am also happy to have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cheroke Limited Ecodiesel. I try to do preventative maintenance by changing the oil every 5,000 miles and diesel filters every 10,000. I also clean the EGR and the DEF injector. It already has 170,000 miles and I am also afraid of one day having to battle with breakdowns, but I am working on changing the Jeep for the Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie in the future. I hope I can get it. Greetings and blessings to all.

Ricerocket27

Mar 5, 2024
Truck Year
I wish you luck with your new purchase, the Laramie diesel is the dream of many, as I am also happy to have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cheroke Limited Ecodiesel. I try to do preventative maintenance by changing the oil every 5,000 miles and diesel filters every 10,000. I also clean the EGR and the DEF injector. It already has 170,000 miles and I am also afraid of one day having to battle with breakdowns, but I am working on changing the Jeep for the Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie in the future. I hope I can get it. Greetings and blessings to all.
170k miles is pretty decent. My 2014 RAM EcoD failed at 103k miles, but only becasue I overheated it (my fault), but perhaps it was on the way out anyway. Currently rebuilding my engine. I am gonna get a stage 1 EoC engine/trans tune, but before I even start the new engine, I will be blocking off the EGR pipe that feedfs chracoal into the inlet manifold (Carbon and plain bearings dont mix). Keeping the engine oil clean is key IMO. I was new to diesels in Dec 2021, when I bought my truck. Before the failure, my oil was black immediately after a change! I learnt about a thing called an engine flush, which cleaned the oil up to mint condition, after 300 miles the oil was still brand new clear, but after 1000 miles it was black black black again. I blame EGR for that. I will be sure to let you know how things go!

autoX

Nov 6, 2022
Truck Year
Someone else will likely delete the truck, so that notion of not contributing to a dirty planet, is misguided.
It's best to use what is already in global inventory, and offset if need be. For example, use a bike, EV for daily, and the truck for truck tasks. That's what I do. My truck has just 70K on it almost 10 yrs in. Better than deleting a 6.0 liter !