• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

P0087 - seeking information for a fix

1shrubfan

Feb 15, 2024
Truck Year
I have owned my 2015 Ram for 4 years. During that time I have experienced an issue with complete power loss while on the highway attempting to pass cars three times. The truck almost quits running, I let off the gas and then it powers back up and drives normally. The check engine light comes on and the diagnostic code logged is P0087. I have looked this up and it appears that there is low fuel pressure in the rail system. I have my fuel filter changed twice a year.

Jpop0077

Mar 13, 2023
Truck Year
Check your lift pump pressure with a gauge, not a scan tool. I used my scan tool and it lied to me. Anything under 54psi change it out. It should be between 54-64psi. If that’s good then pull the fuel return line off of the right side fuel rail( next to the fuel pressure reg.). Turn the truck over a couple of times, you should have little to no fuel coming out.( under 30 m.l.) if you do. Any thing more than that and your regular is shot. The regular is supposed to be closed during that time, if your getting fuel then it’s stuck open.
If you pass those tests then you need to look at your high pressure diesel pump on the left side, take the sound guard/cover off, pull the fuel quality solenoid from the top( 2 torx screws), see if there are any metal shavings in the hole or on the screen. If so, you should replace the pump.
With that; there is currently a recall on that CP3 pump with no remedy, buy a used/or remanufactured one to get you by until they figure that out.
There is a certain produce to pull and install and you will need to buy three tools. One is a crankshaft locking pin you can get on Amazon, a degree wheel you can also get from Amazon, the other is a 5/8 extended allen socket you have to get from Mopar.
Message me and I can give you the procedure.

RamRun

Aug 26, 2024
Truck Year
Hi Jpop,

IMG_9579.pngI’m hoping you or someone can help me out.

My 2018 Eco had problems starting. It would crank, start and die 1 sec later, but then it would start and run after the second attempt each time.

Recently it started shutting off on me on the road, wouldn’t start back up. After towing it, a couple hours later it started and ran again.

Took it to dealer, replaced the HPFP and did the crank sensor software update recall.

It seemed to start and run fine for a couple weeks, but now again, it stalled and doesn’t want to start. Cranks and stalls. (Sometimes cranks a bit longer)

I hooked up a fuel gauge to test the lift pump and when I prime the truck it reads *edit* 52-54 psi. But when it cranks the psi drops to about 40-46 psi.

Do you or anyone know if this is normal? Should I replace my lift pump?

I have no codes besides p0299 which is caused by exhaust leak after doing an EGR/DPF delete and tune.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_9580.png
    IMG_9580.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 1

Jpop0077

Mar 13, 2023
Truck Year
Replace your lift pump, it should not drop when cranking. That was probably your issue the whole time from the sound of your symptoms. It should read anything above 53psi, anything below that will give you the issues you’re having.

RamRun

Aug 26, 2024
Truck Year
Replace your lift pump, it should not drop when cranking. That was probably your issue the whole time from the sound of your symptoms. It should read anything above 53psi, anything below that will give you the issues you’re having.
Thanks for the quick response. I’m leaning towards it being a lift pump issue but wasn’t sure how much pressure it should read.

thought maybe a slight drop when cranking is ok but I guess 40-46psi is not enough?

appreciate the help!

Jpop0077

Mar 13, 2023
Truck Year
No, It is not enough. It’s weird but that is what all of my research concluded. If you are going to do it yourself, I have some tips if you need them

RamRun

Aug 26, 2024
Truck Year
I guess I’ll see what I’m going to do. Thanks again for your help!

Jpop0077

Mar 13, 2023
Truck Year
No problem, good luck, if you need any help I can send you the correct procedure from my Identi-Fix

ivos

Oct 11, 2024
Truck Year
No problem, good luck, if you need any help I can send you the correct procedure from my Identi-Fix
Hi,
thanks for your post.I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the ecodiesel..my car just stopped, codes p0087 and p016f..rail pressure low and closed loop fuel pressure control..low pressure pump delivers 60psi, rail only 800psi.checked the injectors and pressure regulator,ok.

The high pressure pump is new did only 4000k's,I checked the solenoid on the pump looks fine.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.. thanks ivo

Jpop0077

Mar 13, 2023
Truck Year
Ok, so when you checked lift pump pressure, did you use a manual pressure gauge hooked up to the fuel rail or you are going off of your scan tool?
the reason I ask. I had trouble fixing mine because my scan tool was telling me the lift pump pressure was good and it wasn’t. I hooked a gauge up and I only had like 20psi while my scan tool was telling 55psi

ivos

Oct 11, 2024
Truck Year
Ok, so when you checked lift pump pressure, did you use a manual pressure gauge hooked up to the fuel rail or you are going off of your scan tool?
the reason I ask. I had trouble fixing mine because my scan tool was telling me the lift pump pressure was good and it wasn’t. I hooked a gauge up and I only had like 20psi while my scan tool was telling 55psi
Thanks for your response..l used a manual pressure gauge hooked up just before the high pressure intake..it showed 60psi.. the scan tool showed 4.5bar which is the same..

ivos

Oct 11, 2024
Truck Year
Thanks for your response..l used a manual pressure gauge hooked up just before the high pressure intake..it showed 60psi.. the scan tool showed 4.5bar which is the same..
4000km ago the he Jeep dealer replaced the engine because of engine failure and replaced the high pressure pump because of pump recall.. the dealer which did the job isn't Jeep dealer anymore and the next one is 4hours away..
Towing is on my own costs AUD$2000.
2weeks ago I was stranded with our caravan in the middle of nowhere in Australia because they didn't tighten the injector clamps,so I don't trust them anymore.
I'm a diesel mechanic but it's my first Jeep ecodiesel..

Jpop0077

Mar 13, 2023
Truck Year
4000km ago the he Jeep dealer replaced the engine because of engine failure and replaced the high pressure pump because of pump recall.. the dealer which did the job isn't Jeep dealer anymore and the next one is 4hours away..
2weeks ago I was stranded with our caravan in the middle of nowhere in Australia because they didn't tighten the injector clamps,so I don't trust them anymore.
Ok. So you will want to make sure your
Ok.
so first thing is you need to make sure the camshaft is turning inside your engine.
you will need; A degree wheel, a locking pin (amazon sells an aftermarket pin and timing set for 50) and a long hex socket( harbor freight has a set, the Ion serious for 50 bucks.) I think the size is 7/8. It has a longer shaft than the typical allen sockets.
Pull the HPFP and with a wrench turn the engine at the crankshaft to make sure the cam is turning. This will throw your pump and camshaft out of time but it is very easy to time the cam and pump for re-install.
I can send you detailed procedures from my identi fix program.
The reason for this is because I am dealing with total engine failure because the timing chain broke. It stared jugging on me so I turned it off, parked it until I could get it in to the dealership for the hpfp recall. I thought that was my issue because it threw the P0087 code. The dealership replaced my whole fuel system and it would not start. Pulled the pump and found the chain snapped. Crazy because I replaced my oil pump a year before and checked my timing chains and they were good! No slack so I didn’t replace them, now I’m buying a new engine.
Since you just had the pump replaced, I want to make sure we are not wasting time, if the shop didn’t tighten something down, maybe they did not time the pump right? Maybe it’s a simple fix, maybe not but this will tell you a lot. If you want, I can send you part numbers or pics of the specific tools.

ivos

Oct 11, 2024
Truck Year
Ok. So you will want to make sure your

Ok.
so first thing is you need to make sure the camshaft is turning inside your engine.
you will need; A degree wheel, a locking pin (amazon sells an aftermarket pin and timing set for 50) and a long hex socket( harbor freight has a set, the Ion serious for 50 bucks.) I think the size is 7/8. It has a longer shaft than the typical allen sockets.
Pull the HPFP and with a wrench turn the engine at the crankshaft to make sure the cam is turning. This will throw your pump and camshaft out of time but it is very easy to time the cam and pump for re-install.
I can send you detailed procedures from my identi fix program.
The reason for this is because I am dealing with total engine failure because the timing chain broke. It stared jugging on me so I turned it off, parked it until I could get it in to the dealership for the hpfp recall. I thought that was my issue because it threw the P0087 code. The dealership replaced my whole fuel system and it would not start. Pulled the pump and found the chain snapped. Crazy because I replaced my oil pump a year before and checked my timing chains and they were good! No slack so I didn’t replace them, now I’m buying a new engine.
Since you just had the pump replaced, I want to make sure we are not wasting time, if the shop didn’t tighten something down, maybe they did not time the pump right? Maybe it’s a simple fix, maybe not but this will tell you a lot. If you want, I can send you part numbers or pics of the specific tools.
Ok, thanks mate.
I'll do that,..yes maybe they messed up with the pump.Pics would be helpful.
Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

Jpop0077

Mar 13, 2023
Truck Year
Ok, thanks mate.
I'll do that,..yes maybe they messed up with the pump.Pics would be helpful.
Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.
If we can email each other I can send you the procedures which include pictures. It’s pretty straight forward, same info the dealerships and shop use

Jpop0077

Mar 13, 2023
Truck Year
This is what your timing chains look like with all of the timing covers off, the left side runs your pump.

Attachments

• IMG_3153.jpeg
    IMG_3153.jpeg
    433.7 KB · Views: 7

ivos

Oct 11, 2024
Truck Year
This is what your timing chains look like with all of the timing covers off, the left side runs your pump.
Hi,
I took the high pressure pump off today,the camshaft and gear is turning.
Just the new pump left I think..??