• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What fuel additive do you use

Ecodiesel18

Aug 11, 2023
Truck Year
Hotshots appears to be very popular..
Agree hotshots has best concentration when you look at the specific testing and amount of each product and easy to use squeeze bottle it is the best. Everyday for normal weather and their winterizer is great for cold weather.

SeanPwnery

Nov 30, 2022
Truck Year
I've yet to try the stage 2 leap since I still have the EGR connected (but turned off via Stage 1 tune), and the Sheep-wee injector (DEF) is still there as well. From what I understand, you can technically run the Stage 2 tune, however that DEF filter may start coking up since the DEF injector is off and the Regen feature is likely turned off too. Anyone who knows for sure if this is the case, feel free to chime in. Rather than trying the stage 2, I went with a throttle response controller to simply shorten the throw response from the pedal (like a sport more button for most other Mopars and Fiats alike have). That change was - satisfyingly profound. :LOL:

BTdriver

Aug 30, 2018
Truck Year
Stage 2 update: EGTs tend to run cooler (100°ish) at idle and light throttle, the difference reduces under heavier throttle. Fuel consumption is about 1 mpg better - Approx 75% freeway and of that, roughly equal parts traffic and cruising speed. Throttle response is improved some over stage 1 w/ EGR restrictor. Power is up at lower speeds, but at highway speeds I can't tell a significant difference.

SeanPwnery: I have also been concerned that the DEF nozzle may coke up. While I can steam the exterior, I'd have to replace it if it totally clogs. I'm not as concerned about the DPF as the EGT's still get high enough and stay above 750° for decent lengths of time while freeway cruising that it is able to burn off sufficiently (based on the long time between regens with stg 1 and restrictor). That being said, here soon, I will go back to stage 1 just to prevent any issues requiring repairs like SFT warns about.

Note: Back in February I took a road trip with the EGR restrictor removed (stg 1 tune), I noticed that throttle response from a stop and low speeds was slightly less. At freeway speeds, power was quite a bit lower with resultant reduction in throttle response. MPG for the trip was around 24, where previous trips with the EGR restrictor were around 26.

Chiefwahoo

Mar 13, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
I myself use 16 oz of stanadyne fuel treatment every 3rd tank full on my 2018 had 120000 miles on it sold it and got a 2022 ecodiesel plan on doing same thing with it

Mesatoneman

Dec 27, 2020
Truck Year
I’ve been using HotShots for some time.
So BT you installed sft stage 2 with the factory exhaust installed ?

BTdriver

Aug 30, 2018
Truck Year
Oh just experimenting
Yes - stock exhaust, and yes just an experiment.

I loaded the stage 2 tune again right before a 60 mile highway trip. Conditions were temp in the low 90s and elevation 5000 - 5500ft. Ran good, not much improvement on the MPG average. Likely due to a/c running constantly. I could feel some more torque at speed, not a huge amount more, but some. Throttle response was more noticeable with small changes.

BTdriver

Aug 30, 2018
Truck Year
I'd like to address a previous comment about dealer ECU flashes and SFT tunes... SFT uses VIN as well as software version of the stock tune to ensure only the licensed purchaser can load their tune. This is because with an OBDLink MX or MX+ unit and the Alpha OBD app, one can change the VIN in the ECU. So, when the dealer flashes your ECU, regardless if it has been returned to stock tune or not, it changes the software version, necessitating going back to SFT for an update before their tune can be reinstalled. Since the EPA crackdown, all their stage 1 tunes have the EGR on.

Hope this clarifies some.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I'd like to address a previous comment about dealer ECU flashes and SFT tunes... SFT uses VIN as well as software version of the stock tune to ensure only the licensed purchaser can load their tune. This is because with an OBDLink MX or MX+ unit and the Alpha OBD app, one can change the VIN in the ECU. So, when the dealer flashes your ECU, regardless if it has been returned to stock tune or not, it changes the software version, necessitating going back to SFT for an update before their tune can be reinstalled. Since the EPA crackdown, all their stage 1 tunes have the EGR on.

Hope this clarifies some.
Interesting. What EPA crackdown are you talking about? Did dishonest SFT get a visit or did they make their EGR decision as an attempt to avoid a visit? Or ?????

BTdriver

Aug 30, 2018
Truck Year
The crackdown I'm referring to is the 2020 EPA National Enforcement & Compliance Initiative that goes after aftermarket diesel delete devices and emissions defeating tunes. A search will give a lot more info on this. Around that time, I saw Banks stop selling all their ecodiesel performance stuff (metal performance intake manifold, delete exhaust kits, etc.) except the derringer which is CARB approved, Green Diesel Engineering stopped selling their tunes for a while, and SFT changed their stage 1 tune to leave EGR on. Also around this time is when Punch It Performance got "slapped with" with a $1.2 mil fine from EPA, $1.2 mil fine from IRS, and the owner got "a year and a day" in jail for all the additional pollutants caused by selling the aforementioned items. So, it would likely be out of self-preservation that these companies changed their ECU tunes (to leave EGR on, etc.) so they're "compliant" to avoid the EPA'S wrath.

Last edited:

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
The crackdown I'm referring to is the 2020 EPA National Enforcement & Compliance Initiative that goes after aftermarket diesel delete devices and emissions defeating tunes. A search will give a lot more info on this. Around that time, I saw Banks stop selling all their ecodiesel performance stuff (metal performance intake manifold, delete exhaust kits, etc.) except the derringer which is CARB approved, Green Diesel Engineering stopped selling their tunes for a while, and SFT changed their stage 1 tune to leave EGR on. Also around this time is when Punch It Performance got "slapped with" with a $1.2 mil fine from EPA, $1.2 mil fine from IRS, and the owner got "a year and a day" in jail for all the additional pollutants caused by selling the aforementioned items. So, it would likely be out of self-preservation that these companies changed their ECU tunes (to leave EGR on, etc.) so they're "compliant" to avoid the EPA'S wrath.
I am familiar with all that you say.
I looked at dishonest SFT's site and I don't see any of the changes that you posted. You can still get their tune with the EGR turned off, and if you choose to leave the EGR on, there's no way that "they're compliant" to avoid the EPA'S wrath." The only tune that is EPA Ecodiesel compliant, except in California, is GDE. Your #29 post seems inaccurate and misleading.

BTdriver

Aug 30, 2018
Truck Year
Well, I'm not above being wrong on something, but no misleading is intended. I haven't looked at SFT's site in a while so apologies for the inaccuracy.

Edit: Thinking back, I do recall SFT making the "for off road use only" statements more visible and adding a click box about it.

BTdriver

Aug 30, 2018
Truck Year
What happened that you refer to SFT as dishonest? My experience with them has been, at times, their customer service can leave something to be desired, but they have always gotten my tune updated, and their tunes have run well for me.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
What happened that you refer to SFT as dishonest? My experience with them has been, at times, their customer service can leave something to be desired, but they have always gotten my tune updated, and their tunes have run well for me.
I posted this earlier on this forum, here it is again, updated.

Here's my experience with SFT:
01 - I strongly supported SFT since its beginning.
02 - I have used their ECU & TCU (Rally) tunes since 06/2019.
03 - My dealer completed the FCA W58 (tonewheel) flash.
04 - 6/9/21, I paid SFT $50.00 for their updated W58 tunes.
05 - I Received the SFT W58 update tunes. The ECU tune caused SCR (DEF) codes.
06 - 12/16/21, I received new SFT W58 update tunes but they disabled the SCR (DEF).
07 - I asked SFT for W58 update tunes with the SCR intact. On 12-17-21, SFT (Cris Ramirez)
said it was no longer offered because of too many problems with SCR intact tunes.
08 - Getting nowhere with SFT and wanting a tune with SCR intact, on 6/24/22 @ $1074.69 US
I ordered and installed MRT ECU & TCU tunes via EOC.
09 - Then a forum member reported that SFT does have W58 update tunes with SCR intact.
10 - I questioned SFT (Cris Ramirez) about #07 vs #09 and he denied saying that, and
requested proof. So I sent him proof, the email where he did say that.
11 - 8-23-22, SFT (Cris Ramirez) said it was a misunderstanding and he would send
me the current tunes and needed my current tune data.
12 - 9-1-22, I sent SFT (Cris Ramirez) the requested data.
13 - SFT (Cris Ramirez) has never sent the tunes he promised.
14 - SFT stopped answering my emails or telephone calls.
15 - SFT ghosted me, and has abandoned me as a customer.

Since my experience, others have reported also being ghosted when they challenged SFT.
Several others have reported cases where SFT could not fix a problem.
SFT is dishonest and inept!

BTdriver

Aug 30, 2018
Truck Year
I see. If that happened to me, I'd probably feel the same way. Interesting to note (not trying to add insult to injury), on my SFT tunes/updates, the SCR has always been on (DEF usage).

lebellini

Jul 13, 2024
Truck Year
I myself use 16 oz of stanadyne fuel treatment every 3rd tank full on my 2018 had 120000 miles on it sold it and got a 2022 ecodiesel plan on doing same thing with it
I have been use Howes on my previous Cummins and MWM. I will keep using on my new (1 week old) 2017 Ecodiesel for now.
I don’t know this engines. I don’t know if other products will be better.
Howes have been great doing lube and anti gel (I’m in Canada).
Cheers

BTdriver

Aug 30, 2018
Truck Year
I have been use Howes on my previous Cummins and MWM. I will keep using on my new (1 week old) 2017 Ecodiesel for now.
I don’t know this engines. I don’t know if other products will be better.
Howes have been great doing lube and anti gel (I’m in Canada).
Cheers
Howe's and Power Service have good in my Ecodiesel - 160k mi and counting.